Monday, August 18, 2014

Week 15 Big Week

It has been a long week, I will try my best to update you accordingly.

Elder Mikovits quote of the week: "My favorite pick up line has to be, Hey, you look like my rib." when talking about Adam and Eve. Love this guy.

So to start out the week, I have been told I have a Nepalise English accent!!!! Yay for Malaynglish!!!!! I'll have to speak like they do in Malaysia when I get home for people to see how it is hahaha

So Wednesday, after having my last hour of training, I checked the phone and saw a missed call from Alvire, our investigator in the hospital who had to have a C-section. I didn't really think about it, and called her back immediately. The phone was answered, and all I heard from the weakest and most sorrowful voice I've ever heard was, "Holmes, baby didn't make it". I have never been more shocked out of my mind. She was just telling me, "Why does God do this? Is this a miracle or a tragedy because I barely lived and the baby died? I cannot believe I did this." I wasn't ready for the call, just not in the right mind set, and it shocked me. I just kept telling her everything will be okay. And after trying to console her, she asked for a blessing and I told her we would be there ASAP. She hung up the phone and I just balled my eyes out. She is the most amazing woman in the world and she is going through the worst tragedy any mother can face. I just started to pray so hard to just have compassion on her and to give her strength to get through this and hold onto her faith. Elder Egbert and I arrived at the hospital, about 45 minutes away and out of our area (but had Zone Leader approval) and just talked to her for a couple hours. Her sister and bestfriend was also there and Alvire had questions for us, but the most amazing thing is how all she could say, "God is up there writing in his book, nothing we can do about it. Just gotta believe." The strongest faith I have ever seen in a woman. I have never been more humbled and more in awe of a person in my life. For the rest of the day I felt just a Spirit about me, just for seeing and talk with her, she is absolutely amazing to me and such an inspiration. She never gave up hope on Christ. She said she was happy her husband is there taking care of her baby. She is absolutely amazing, and I cannot believe God let Elder Egbert and I to be the ones to console her and help her in her times of need. We are so thankful to be able to tell her the Gospel, knowing she can be with her family forever gave her such hope and such trust in God. Just in awe of that woman.
 
Thursday Elder Egbert and I were able to pass off Chinese investigators to the Chinese Elders, who are just the coolest guys around! We were able to listen to an entire lesson in Chinese and it was the coolest thing ever, and it is evern more amazing how much we felt the Spirit during the lesson as well, especially during Joseph Smith's First Vision. Sent chills down my spine. Loved being there, such a great experience.

Sunday came along and Alvire and her family came to church!!!!! Alvire made her boys go to Sunday school, because Jabneel (15) and Jezreel (13) wanted to go home. Alvire put her foot down and made them go. The power of a mother over kids wanting to skip church (kind of sounds familiar.... but definitely not having anything to do with me). Jabneel after class had the biggest smile on his face and was ecstatic for the next class. Alvire loved church!!!!! But the only thing that kills the sweet moment is the fact that we have to pass her off to the Subang Sisters since Alvire moved away. It is gonna be really hard because how close we have gotten to her and her family, but it is not up to us. Building the Lord's kingdom one step at a time. We then were able to teach Samuel and his family that night. Samuel is soooooo awesome. He is 20 years old and wants to move to North Carolina! Didn't even know I was from there when he told me! So great, I'll have to give him my address in Charlotte! But their family didn't eat for 2 days so we and the Sisters were able to give them food from the members. Samuel's mother started to cry her eyes out and just thanked us over and over. The father stole all of their money and ran off with a girl, so they had to move from Johor Baru to KL. We are only happy to help!

Love being a missionary. Love the work. And I am so blessed that God gives me these chances to grow and become better. Through lifes trials, we can only become better or beaten down, the choice is ours. I felt God's love this week ,and I pray that all of you did as well.

Love y'all!!!!

Elder Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment