Monday, May 19, 2014

MTC: Week 2 "I'm where I need to be"

 May 17th, 2014

WHAT A WEEK!!! I have learned so much every single day and the Gospel is real. All of it. I know it is true and I know that this is where God wants me to be.

My Brit companion, Elder G, teaches me so much it is ridiculous. We think that when we go into the MTC, even when going out with the missionaries all the time, that we'll be prepared and just a breeze. It's not. I've had a spiritual experience every single day I am here, so humbling. In our lessons with our investigators all I do is hype up my companion and let him release the Spirit. He isn't the best with talking to people but he has the strongest spirit and testimony I've ever heard. And he is so bold about what he says, but in the most loving and kind way. And then after he spills the gospel I use his testimony and work the rest of his lesson. Our two investigators are getting baptized and even though its not real, I'm happy with what we've done. I brag about my companion all the time lol. We went to the temple and it's so much more holier than it has ever felt before.

We have a bunch of really close friends here, especially one Elder. He is a convert to the gospel and lives in Australia but grew up in London. His dad is in jail for 14 more years for being a gang leader and killing 6 men. His older brother is also in jail for 26 more years for killing 4 people. He hasn't seen his dad since he was 4. He dealed at the age of 12 and was into crack, heroin, and anything you could think of. Thankfully he is converted to the Gospel and now is one of the most knowledgeable guys I know about deep doctrine, he's only been a member for 2 years. My comp asked me after talking to him, "How can we relate to people like this Elder would, going through the stuff he went through?" and I realized it's because we are all different and God knows what we can do and what we can handle. If I was in this Elder's situation, I would be in jail or dead. And also it is because of my parents. Thank you so much for teaching me and making the right choices. If it wasn't for you, I can't imagine where I would be right now. I love you Mom and Dad.

So I'm actually gonna miss my Dad's birthday!! I leave on the 20th from LA and will arrive in Manila on the 22nd. Sorry Dad. But I'll be in Singapore at 10am on the 22nd. So excited to start working and getting things done. I know I am not ready, but that's what I need to know, for that will force me to have to trust the Lord and lean on him for support. With him, I should do just fine, just can't wait to meet the mission president and my companion!

I know Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer. I know God lives, I know that Joseph Smith is a true prophet and he really did translate the Book of Mormon. Sounds primary, I know, but when you fully understand, you know how important it really means to truly say it.

With love,
Elder James Holmes

 
MTC with my District

 
Provo Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment