Question from Dad - How do you think your mission is preparing you for life after the mission field?
From Elder Holmes:
The mission prepares us for life in every aspect of the work. Every trial overcome, every person we talk too, every lesson we teach or tear we shed is for after the mission and for eternity. I guess to give you a more specific answer, recently it has been about lover anyone and everyone about you, and just loving EVERYONE you see. Also, that we can never look back, every morning I run about 4 1/2 kilometres in 20 minutes (trying to get to 5km) and I was at 8 minutes and I was telling myself that that was enough and I could stop at 15 minutes. Then the thought came to me that I cannot let the past rationalize my future. And I was reminded by a talk by Elder Dube a year or so ago about never looking back. If we keep looking back and saying "wow, this mission has changed my life so much" then I will immediately rationalize, I could go home or not try this hard right now and still have changed a lot. We just gotta love what is ahead and keep doing what we do. The past is the past, whether we used it wisely or not, there is still unlimited potential in the future and gotta focus on that.
So this week was sooooo sick!!!!
So I am here in the Clementi Ward in Singapore with my companion Elder Wang who is from Mainland China, the Si Chuan Province. He is the funniest, and coolest guy in the entire world. His English is pretty good, but when he makes a mistake, it is sooo bad, and is soooo funny! Elder Young and Elder Liddell are our apartment mates, and we just have a righteous party over here in the Yew Tee house!!!
So I am in the Singapore West District, the biggest District in the mission, there is 12 companionships, and we are just one big happy family. I love these missionaries so much, they are the coolest.
This past week we saw A LOT of miracles. We only have two main investigators, Maddie (Indian Singaporean) and Hong (Indonesian- Chinese Singaporean). We got Maddie to church for the first time EVER since Elder Egbert, my trainer, served in this area (his first area). She is progressing really well, but hates going to church. Says that Sacrament meeting is really boring and the speakers only talk about themselves. It was really sad, because during the talks, I listened to the talks, and between, the name of Christ wasn't mentioned once. So please, please, please people, in Sacrament meeting, talk of Christ more than personal experiences!!! And that is not a phenomena only in this Ward. But it is okay, as Maddie fell asleep, she woke up and saw Jesus standing behind one of the speakers. You know, like it usually happens. So you can say she is pretty solid on church now.
Hong is progressing and has a lot more desire now, which is a huge blessing. He is on date for the 14th of March!!!! Hooray!
We got a call from the Assistants who sent us a number of somebody they had contacted from Sri Lanka. the family has a young boy who is in the hospital and keeps peeing out all of his iron( I think it was?) we were able to go and bless them, which we actually weren't able to give him a priesthood blessing, but just said a prayer with the family. They were so nice and sweet, really hope to see them again and share them a message next time.
I was reading about how to share more in contacting without being bold about it. And I was reading in 1 Thessolonians Chapter 2 verse 8, the entire chapter is sweet but this is my favorite verse. It says that the apostles not only imparted upon the people the Gospel of God, but also, their entire souls. That hit me like a ton of bricks. Do I impart my soul upon these poeple that I meet and talk too? Probably not. This Gospel is about love, the Atonement is about Love, this Plan and Purpose is about love, so that is all we need to do. Spread the love.
Love you all so much!!!!! Celebrate Valentine's Day righteously! I will be..... with my companion......
Take care y'all
Elder Holmes
My beloved companion Elder Wang from China. Love this guy!!
District Meeting.....so much fun!


No comments:
Post a Comment