Monday, March 9, 2015

Week 44 Visa Run

Monday March 9th, 2015

This week was pretty awesome. Not gonna lie.

It was really hard though, we were outside of our area more than we were in our area this week, so it was rough but we saw sooooo many miracles!

So this week, we had to travel about two hours on the MRT (the national transit of Singapore), to go to the other side of the island for meetings, mission tour, Stake Conference, and the doctor's office, every day. I hate the MRT. We are so sick of it!!! We also had to carry our suits and wear our long sleeves the entire day for the past four days, and it has been 35C and sunny every day!!!! We had a bunch of meetings and didn't ever have time to go home to pick up our suits, so we carried them all day! It has been a struggle this week for sure though.

So Thursday, I finally got to go on a visa run!!!!! WOOOHOO! Elder Stratfold and I, my favorite Aussie cuzzy brew, went over to Indonesia for the entire day. Because we don't actually have working visas, we have to leave the country and come back every 90 days. And a lot of Elders, like my dear father Elder To'angutu (may he rest in peace), weren't allowed back in so they would have to go to other missions in their home countries. We call that being black chopped. So visa run days are pretty boring but cool, you go to Indonesia for a day and told not to do missionary work, can't call anyone either. So it is basically the missionary vacation. And we cannot wear proselyting clothes. It was pretty dope. We went there by boat, so we can say we sailed in the busiest port in the whole world, massive cargo ships were just flying by us as we sailed over to Indo, a really cool experience.

Indonesia is even poorer than Malaysia, it was really sad. There were two kids selling newspapers to people passing by, one was maybe 3 and the other 6. And I will never forget their eyes, just glazed over, I honestly don't know why, the most haunting eyes I have ever seen. Count your blessings you grew up in freedom and in the US.

We are slowing dropping investigators, but Maddie and also Hong are now getting out of the eternal investigator stage and into progressing! Had super spiritual lesson with them. Sister Maddie, we went to her house and just asked,"What questions do you have for God? We will answer it by the Book of Mormon." I was pretty scared to death, my Book of Mormon knowledge isn't too good, but that's why we got the Holy Ghost on our side! Hooray! She had a question about purgatory and the afterlife, and we flipped right too 2 Nephi chapter 9 and answered. So spiritual. She even asked if she could come to our church! That has never happened!

All in all, a great week, Elder Wang is the funniest, greatest companion I have ever had, I LOVE the Chinese Culture!!!!! Also went to the Zoo last Monday, we saw red Pandas and giant pandas suuuper close, they are the cutest things I have ever seen.

Love you all, God is good, the church is true.
Elder Holmes

Red panda at the zoo

Boat ride over to Indonesia

Island of Batam Indonesia





No comments:

Post a Comment