Monday, June 23, 2014

Week 7 Language Barriers

Apa Khabar!

How is everyone?!?! This week has been so special. Other than my companion throwing up and just getting sicker, a lot has happened this week.
 
After playing rugby on the beaches in Penang on the coast of the Indian Ocean (so sick!), we had a crazy good zone conference and some ridiculously funny games of Mafia. Our zone leaders Elder David from NZ and Holbrook are the best, and I'm praying that I'll be able to serve in Penang. We finally found a good milkshake, its been tooooo long. (James had mentioned in a previous private email that the milk and ice cream was NOT like it is Stateside. He's really missing it!)
 
But when we got back to Ipoh, we went right to work and started visiting less actives and re visit our investigators. They were drunk when we visited Manjit. I felt the Spirit so strong, but I dont know how it affected him. Tara is super ready for baptism, but needs to start coming to church!!! She finally got work off on Sunday so maybe this will improve. And our other too strong investigators are fading fast. Boon Seng has work in China 24/7 and the last lesson we asked him after what he thought of it and he said he didnt understand even though throughout the lesson he said he understood everything. Me and Elder To'angutu need to really step it up next lesson and get a Chinese member to come to lessons. And then John has virtually no idea what we're saying, even in Malay, and nobody in the ward can speak Hindi so its been really rough. But what happened that was really cool was when Siva called us Friday, after weeks of trying to meet him, and wanted an appointment that day. He's Tamil and only speaks Tamil, a little Malay, and is illiterate. So we sat down with him and asked him, "Why do you want to meet with us? Can you tell us what you learned about Jesus Christ before in other lessons?" and he had no idea who Christ was but said, "I just feel happy being here." This man has no idea what we are saying and no idea what we are reading to him. And he still wants to meet with us. It really did humble me, I know that I would've gotten frustrated and stopped at the start. That lesson, the Spirit was very strong. All we taught was that God lives in Heaven and we are his children. It took an hour for him to understand, but he still wants to hear more. The next lesson we were more prepared and had Sis Chris and my comp bring out the Malay and showed him with little demonstrations what faith is, what it means to God and Jesus and that we have to believe in them. He gets so embarrassed about not being able to talk in English and I can tell it really bugs him, but he is still going through with it. I KNOW that most people, including myself, wouldnt be able to go through with the embarrassment and trials he is having to learn, and still come back for more. He is inspiring to me. We are now starting to teach him English and we hope that we can get him to come to church and have a translator there for him. Members help. A lot.
 
I'm doing good now though, its great hearing the US is tied with Germany in the top of our bracket in World Cup! USA! USA!  I'm loving the work, even though it's starting to get hot, and no rain to cool us down. It's suppose to get the hottest in 20 years or something this dry season. yayyyyyy. But no worries, we got this!
 
Loving the Lord and loving the Spirit. I'm learning something new everyday. Love Ipoh, and love Malaysia! Going to Singapore on Wednesday! They give us basically all day Wednesday to tour the city. Can't wait. Going to see Marina Bay!
 
But anyway, love all of you, thanks for the emails and prayers! They are much needed.
 
Elder Holmes


 
 Pday Badminton


Some serious concentration

 

Sister Chris is the best!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment