Zone Conference in Singapore was the coolest thing ever!!!!
So starting off, we played badminton after emailing last week, which is the funnest sport ever and I think I am finally getting better I might add, and then went to Pres. Tan's house for dinner with all the missionaries. President Tan's family is the most awesome people ever, basically has two super cute daughters 3 and 5 and holy cow they are a handful! They know every single Disney song by heart and always give us missionaries a huge performance when we go over. They call me Mister Bean and voted me as the funniest looking missionary..... thanks JoJo and JenJen hahaha.
Tuesday was set up to be a great day, like they all are, and then of course everyone cancelled on us. As usual. But then all of a sudden, after teaching a lesson at the youth FHE, Siva came and we had a quick talk about the Book of Mormon and the Bible. Now Siva is illiterate, but he says he reads the English Bible everyday but has no idea what it means and what it is saying. He then asked us how long does it take to learn more about the gospel. The guy is a champ! Me and Elder To'a were so excited! But since then we haven't heard from him, not a word. He won't call or text us back. It has been very frustrating for us. Especially when we went to Singapore and couldn't use a phone and talk to any of our investigators for three days. I loved Singapore and all, but we are still trying to make up for the work that we missed and we have no idea about Siva or where he is at right now.
So Wednesday morning we went to Singapore!!!!!! President Mains gave us all day to do whatever we wanted in the city and so we went exploring with some of our district and a set of Chinese Elders from Sitiawan. We found a kick-butt Mexican food place and loved it! I miss Mexican soooo much! Then we went back to the Stake Center and visited with all the other Elders in West Malaysia. I finally saw Elder Grant again. He is honestly my best friend out of the mission. He is such a champ. Wants to punch his comp though, I'll pray for him. And I also saw Sis CRabb and Archibald from the MTC! They are the best! Zone Conference taught me a lot. Missionary work is about three things. Find. Teach. Baptize. Nothing else. It's that simple. Trying to really put that into our minds these days as a companionship and as a district.
Singapore is one of the coolest places and the coolest cities in the world, it seems almost fake because it is such a nice and clean city, very natural and just huge. The only problem about it is how worldly it is, it is all about money, power and business. And the sex atmosphere is the worst in the world. Prostitutes everywhere, and they barely wear any clothing. Missionaries basically look straight up on public transport. But other than that, the city was very cool and a great experience.
We got back to Ipoh Friday night and then went to work Saturday and Sunday. Had about nine lessons planned for those two days, all but two were cancelled. It's been really stressful for us. The one lesson we had was with Tara, who said she didn't want to make the commitment of baptism anymore. By then I just had enough. I was just very frank with her and told her that this baptism, yes makes us very happy, but it's your salvation. This can be the greatest thing you will ever do in your life and you need to do it. And explained further about how we still make mistakes after baptism but we can repent still. I then just bore my testimony on baptism, the most truest testimony I have ever heard come from my lips. She then asked to have another appointment, which she has never done, and we hope now that it is sinking into her head. I am just getting frustrated a lot by it. Watching Jeffery R. Hollands/ Pres. Eyring's testimony in the video Missionary Work and The Atonement (which I invite all of you to watch) has brought me great comfort. I know this is the Gospel, if it wasn't it wouldn't be so hard.
I'm doing fine though, me and my comp are getting closer and closer, hoping he doesn't leave this transfer. He is such a wonderful guy to serve with.
Till next week!
Elder Holmes
One hour later:
Just found out I'm leaving Ipoh and going to Kuala Lumpur! Yeah transfers! Upset after only serving in Ipoh for six weeks but I know it is for the best. Good things are coming!






No comments:
Post a Comment