Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Week 12 Selamat Hari Raya

July 28th, 2014

Well folks, it's Hari Raya!!!!!

HUGE muslim holiday that the people are going crazy for! And being in the country with the most muslims in it in the world, and being in the capital, we are seeing everything here and it has been awesome!!!! After email we're going to go around and just sight see and be tourists during the festivities! A lot of fireworks last night..... and a lot of gunshots this entire week, Malaysia boleh!

So this week has been the best of my mission, by far. Had a meeting with Mission President and everything has taken off! I've really just focused on my attitude and how I can really use prayer and the Spirit to cool off and calm down, it'll take time, but it is working!
 
But this week, the Spirit has never been more strong and it has been showing in our lessons as well. Me and Elder Egbert have just been synchronized in just feeling the Spirit, even though we never teach from the lesson plan cause that Holy Ghost keeps switching it all up on us!!! So our investigators are slowly starting to draw away...... even more.... and it really does stink.
 
We had a lesson with Melvin, trying to get him to not smoke, and he is very honest with us. He loves God and the Spirit and feels so good with us in lessons, but the truth came out and he told us that he really doesn't have the intent to quit smoking. I died inside that moment. I just knew exactly what to say next though, the Spirit just told me to tell the truth back. In a wayyyy more friendlier and loving manner, because I truly love this guy and admire him so much, I just told him flat out, Jesus Christ commanded us to be baptised by water and the Spirit (John 3:5)  and if not, we cannot recieve that higher glory and be with our Father. Plain and simple. And if he didn't cut out smoking, he won't be baptised and if he won't be baptised he won't be able to lead his children in that path as well, because that was a huge reason he wanted to learn. He was just astonished. Couldn't believe it. But I really do hope that he knows that I did it with love. That man amazes me so much and I just had to tell it to him straight. Unfortunately the truth can hurt sometimes and I hope to see if it can change him. He is all on board now, says he needs some time to pray about it and how to go about quitting. Hope him the best, he is such a champ.

Some good news! Abouba, the African from Ivory Coast can be taught!! He is from a religious free country so even though his father is Muslim, he can still be taught!!!! Because his mother was Catholic and raised him that way. We are so happy!!! He already has a drive to read and want to learn more, I love that guy sooo much, such a humble soul and always so kind to everyone. It is sad though, one Muslim man wanted to learn about the Gospel and more about Joseph Smith, wanted to meet and have lessons...... but as a Muslim we can't. It really is hard teaching in a country with 70% of the people we can't even teach. It is frustrating a lot. I just want to teach them!!!!! They are some of the nicest people in the world, America has the worst attitude against this religion, amazing people. 

Been a wonderful week, and I love this mission so much. Can't wait to talk to everyone next week!!!!!
 
With love,
Elder Holmes 


Wearing my Muslim pants proselyting!
Yay for other pants still in the washer!

Elder Egbert

Picking up trash beside the sewage system

Yay for open sewage rivers in the heart of Kuala Lumpur!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment