Sept 28th, 2015
So while on exchanges with the Assistants, Elder Perritt and I were interviewed and put on Philippino national television while at a convention for Iglista Ni Cristo convention.
It's a long story but we got roped into it. On the interview we just told them we are here as missionaries for our church and someone invited us, so we might as well go in for a couple minutes. They started taking pictures of us and all the Philippinos started freaking out cause they know we are Mormon missionaries. We basically gave the Church a shoutout and tried to look good for the Church. Hopefully we won't get in trouble...... :/ it was fun. We listened for a couple minutes and received a confirmation that the Iglista Ni Cristo church is definitely not the true church. It basically condemned everyone else.
Other than that, the haze and pollution is getting super bad here, it was at 315 psi and is worse than China. We could only see 20 yards in front of us and then fog. We had to wear those super cool masks that filter the air. Looked pretty snazzy.
We went on three exchanges this week, with the Assistants, me and Elder Tseng, and we had to take a couple missionaries from Malaysia out on their first day. They didn't know English too well, but they have so much faith in the Gospel. It's so great to meet the new guys coming in, they are so much more prepared than I was. They'll do great work. It was funny how amazing this church is, these missionaries never had subway before, didn't know what a chocolate chip cookie was other than some terrible kind they sell in Malaysia. They are going from shacks to the best housing they'll ever be in on their mission. It gets them to be able to experience the world and see things they would never have the opportunity too. Another testament that this Church is there to help and uplift.
Elder Tseng is from Taiwan and is the most adorable missionary I know. Adorable is the only way to describe him because he is so humble and so innocent of the world. I love him so much! We went out contacting the whole day as well and saw a lot of miracles. He is going home in two weeks, but is going to BYU Hawaii so I hope to see or room with him. I love him so much!!!!! We went to the Botanic Gardens of Singapore. It is the most beautiful gardens I've ever seen. It has flowers from all over the world and is breathtaking. It was an awesome day.
The next day was the exchange with Elder Perritt. We met with a less active-part member family that morning. They haven't seen missionaries in years, and the mother forgot everything she knew about the church, but the father is down to learn. We testified and taught of eternal families and they were really down to learn. It was a huge miracle, I've never had any success with Less Actives in my mission, and now we're seeing miracles.
Just experiencing the Spirit as I contacted was really powerful. On one contact we kind of just stepped into a conversation and they seemed pretty annoyed at first. We started talking about how we come to teach of Christ. The man who was there said,"You are different than me, you are a God man, and I am a working man, you don't understand me and I don't know you". I stopped him there and testified of us being here as representatives of Jesus Christ and we are here to preach to all and be here for you. The Spirit was strong and I felt so good to be bold and full of love. The man just stopped and listened to us the rest of the time, you could tell the Spirit touched him too and he readily agreed to meet again to learn more. It was really cool!
If any of you have the chance, please read the talk by Randall L. Ridd called "Living with Purpose: the Importance of Real Intent". Amazing.
Anywho, love y'all!
Hope ya have a great week,
Elder Holmes

No comments:
Post a Comment